As respected animal behaviour experts, full members of the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC) have been called upon by a number of child adoption and fostering agencies to assess the animals of potential adoptive parents or foster carers. This demand has resulted in the development of a standard protocol by the APBC, which is implemented by a registered network of participating APBC members. The service is designed primarily for dogs, but may also be applied to other animals.
As a full member of the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC) and a registered participant for this service, I am able to assess the behaviour and temperament of animals whose owners are applying to adopt or foster a child. I then prepare a detailed report which is sent to the adoption or fostering agency, who can present this to the court.
The assessment process involves:
- A home visit lasting approximately two hours
A report is then sent to the agency requesting the assessment, to include:
- Owner experience and relationship with the animal(s)
- Exposure and behaviour in social situations, training background and health issues
- Practical home considerations
- Temperament and behaviour with household members, visitors, general public and children of various age groups
- A professional opinion on any risks these animals present to children
- Advice regarding the introduction of children and animals
The cost for this service is £310 based on a single dog, plus travel fees incurred. Please contact me for a quote for other species or for multi-dog households.